I keep posting random links on Twitter to games Amazon has on sale as a part of their that I think everyone should buy Christmas discount bonanza that I think everyone should buy so I decided to just make a whole list. These are only games I have played and personally recommend. I’ll even write quick blurbs, because I care.
I went through every page of their sale section (because I’m crazy), and this is stuff that is generally around or below the prices being charged used if you wander into a Gamestop or similar store. I am in no way a stickler for new games but if the price is close I generally go in that direction.
- Demon’s Souls – $19.99 This has been on sale on and off for a while so there’s no excuse to not pick it up. Critically acclaimed game that starts out ridiculously hard and eases up a bit. Only for the patient.
- Bayonetta – $17.99 – If you like games like Devil May Cry and don’t have Bayonetta you need to buy it immediately. The combat in this system is so smooth and awesome that it has tons of replay value because you’ll just want to pop it in and play through certain levels. Also one of the weapons is a pair of figure skates.
- Resident Evil 5 – $14.99 – It’s not Resident Evil 4 in terms of quality, and it’s very much a straight action game but even if it’s not Resident Evil enough for some people it’s a super fun game. It’s essentially the combat from RE4 with none of the puzzles, and an AI partner who helps you shoot things instead of crying and hiding in corners. The co-op feature is also great.
- Dead Rising – $9.99 – I think you can find it used for about $10 but if you prefer buying things new you can’t beat this price. The controls can get clunky at times and you’ll probably want to kill instead of save some of the people in the mall (which you can do if you are so inclined) but it’s a classic and really good.
- No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle – $16.35 – It’s a giant in-joke but a great game. The action is really great, if you’ve played a lot of video games you’ll giggle a lot and the 8-bit mini game Side Jobs are amazing. Other than the last boss the only other thing in this game that is horribly frustrating is the power-up mini games which I was awful at.
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 – $39.99 – It’s only $10 off but this game is basically never going to drop in price. If you enjoy platformers you really need to own this.
- Contact – $19.13 – Extremely quirky, fun and imaginative RPG. Feels a bit like Earthbound/Mother. If you like RPGs and are tired of the standard 14 year old has to save the world with his buddies and make peace with his father who left him as a child this is up your alley. The job system is cute and pokes a little bit of fun at the standard Mage/Fighter/Thief classes.
- The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks – $18 – This is such an amazingly good price for this game that has the usual Zelda quality that I am not sure what else I need to say. Buy it.
- Mario & Luigi Bowser’s Inside Story – $24.96 – Latest and greatest Mario RPG action, incredibly fun. It doesn’t recycle from the previous M&L games other than the basics of the battle system, and you get to play as Bowser.
- Rune Factory – $18.42 – “A Fantasy Harvest Moon” translates into action RPG/farm simulator hybrid where you make friends with monsters and get them to water your plants, raise them as livestock and grow corn all while saving the world from doom and convincing the girl you video game love to marry you.
- Rune Factory 2 – $15.99 – You got action RPG in my farm simulator again. This one is more farming, less action RPG (and story) than the first.
- Not a single thing >:(